On February 22 2006 our lives have changed forever. After 29 months of being on the lung transplant waiting list my dear Mom finally got the call that they had a donar for her. After a scray trip into Edmonton (we had to be there by midnight and drove through snow) we arrived. My sister Bobbie came with me while Mom and Dad drove together. Mom was prepped for surgery and then we awaited for news that the donar lungs would be acceptable. It isn't until the lungs are actually removed from the donar body that it is known if they will be the right size, shape and undamaged enough for transplantation. At about 4:20 am Mom was taken to the OR. At approximately 6:00 am surgery began on Mom. It wasn't until about noon of February 23 that we were informed that the surgery was actually a go ahead and occuring. After many more anxious hours the surgeon came out and told us that Mom did amazingly through sugery and that it was a success thus far. The actual surgery took 8 and 1/2 hours. At about 4:30 pm we were allowed to go and see her very briefly in ICU.
The past few days since have been a blur.... Mom was taken off a ventilator on February 26 and began breathing on her own with supplementary oxygen. She is becoming more aware but we still have a long haul.
We have no idea who the donar was or where they even came from but we are extremely grateful that some family somewhere made a very difficult decision to give others a chance at life while they were in crisis. We do know that it was a multi donar. In otherwards many organs were donated (lungs, heart, liver, kidney, etc...). Imagine all of the people that have a second chance because of one family's decision. Absolutely amazing!
I do have pictures of Mom in the ICU but out of respect until she is better I will not post them without her permission.
I will keep updating the blog as I can but expect disruptions. (nothing new there however, lol....).
Thank you everyone for your support and well wishes.
Heather
3 comments:
Heather,
I wish I was near you to give you a big hug! What a time for you all, and firstly your Mom. So glad she is doing well, and I hope she continues to improve as each day passes. Thinking of you......although tough, I know you will get through this, you are such a tropper. Take care!!!
Donna
Wishing your mom a speedy recovery. Take care Heather....you and Lacintha need to meet and give each other BIG hugs.
I always tell people who do not sign there donor card, what if it was you who needed something or someone you love. Well we now see first hand how amazing it is.
Post a Comment